View Profile ChronoNomad

131 Movie Reviews

The song itself is quite simply phenomenal, and Finn already knows how much I respect his talent! The background images and animations are also ridiculously impressive.

That said, the character appearance and animation leaves much to be desired, and is quite honestly the weakest part of the presentation. But hey, you're still really young and have lots of time to learn and grow and improve your illustration and animation abilities! So don't give up, and I look forward to watching you improve over time. Let me offer up a few helpful hints:

Really study images of the human body in order to get better at drawing people. While I've certainly seen worse proportions, the male and female within the video are incredibly stiff and possess some very unrealistic features. From the back view, the back itself extends too far upward and almost gives the appearance of having a hump, which I do not believe was intended. Your hands and shoulders are way too rounded; once again, study those aspects and smooth them out in a more realistic way. Arm and leg movements are also really stiff and awkward at this point. And finally, when viewing the head and neck from behind, the neck would continue up past the back of the head rather than the other way around, like it is here.

Having a really amazing song and gorgeous backgrounds boosted my overall score quite a lot, but had I gone strictly by the merits of the characters and character animations alone it would have been a much different story. When those aspects come together in a more harmonious way, you're going to have a seriously killer repertoire. Best of luck going forward! :)

VivendmaYoutube responds:

Thanks! I tried to add my usual humor in it as well.. like Bea Hogg as the girl's name

This is quite simply the best PSA I've seen since Dumb Ways to Die first earwormed its way into my heart! Incredibly well animated, with excellent visuals, music, and sound effects backing up the brutal action. There was clearly some inspiration taken from series like One Punch Man and classic Dragon Ball Z, which makes for quite an interesting mix in the world of Pokémon. Very kind of you to give the fine folks of Newgrounds the perfected version, too.

Nice protection and avoidance tips. Mosquitos are annoying enough to begin with, but the Zika virus is some seriously bad business. What the world needs is more dragonflies to help control the buzzing bloodsucker population!

Oh, man...this is so good! Made me smile and actually laugh out loud. Thanks for making my day.

The art and animation style are excellent, as are the sound effects and music. The whole thing comes together just right and is thoroughly engaging. Also a very fun and unique take on the whole Zombie Apocalypse idea that's totally been done to death but somehow never gets old.

Stanley is quite the hero and I'm sure we would all love to see him again, but the story is just as good as a standalone project. Bravo! Looking forward to future submissions.

88 Game Reviews

This is a pretty fun and rather unique game, especially considering how incredibly arbitrary the whole process actually is. I'm still not entirely sure if there's some sort of condition that needs to be met in order to find the Schrödinger-like cat in the box alive or dead, or if it's just as random as the cat effects you get by hitting the spacebar. Nevertheless, it is indeed quite challenging, sometimes frustrating, and generally kind of cute...in a dark and strangely morbid way.

The backgrounds, animations, and other moving parts look very nice and feel natural. The music, while highly limited and decidedly repetitive, sounds fine and serves an interesting purpose by reversing while the spacebar is held down. Sound effects, while also fairly minimal, are nonetheless effective and appropriate for the tone of the game. Besides the technical and aesthetic elements, it's always great to earn a couple hundred medal points! I know it's an extra draw for me, at least.

I did come across one weird medal glitch while playing, so I figured I would take a moment to report it here. During my initial playthrough, I earned all the stars for every level as I completed them, and when I finally got through the 30th level it was the TASK 2 medal that popped all by itself. After that I finished TASK 3, then had to play the game over from the beginning to finally get TASK 1 to activate. Obviously, if someone earns more than one of the medals on a single run through all 30 levels, they should get all the medals they've earned.

Overall, I would have to say that this is a solid Puzzle game, despite its unique reliance on luck. Some skill is indeed required, and simply tapping the button without any kind of analytical thought process going on won't get the job done.

Besides, the idea of cats doing all kinds of crazy stuff while you're not observing them is totally symbolic and 100% accurate. Great job and congratulations on landing on the Front Page!

Cute and quirky, but loves to freeze up on me and has done so across several attempts. I may never be able to finish the game itself if that keeps happening. The premise is very bizarre of course, just like the myths themselves, and your one of a kind art style is always uniquely enjoyable. I've generally become accustomed to your particular style of music, but some of the tracks here actually gave me a headache. :P

The gameplay leaves something to be desired, and not knowing which enemies can be killed using the sword or need to be jumped on is more than a bit bothersome. Controlling Pegasus is ridiculously awkward, though I suppose that was intended to ramp up the difficulty of the "race" against the Sphinx. In a more straightforward race based on speed rather than gathering golden olives, Pegasus would win without even trying.

Death comes quickly and easily, but then you're right back into things with another chance, so dying in and of itself means very little in most stages. There are some silly little Easter eggs sprinkled here and there, and it's always nice to earn medals.

Not a bad game, though I would probably offer up at least another half star if I could play without those frustratingly random freeze-ups. FYI, the browser I use is Chrome and there was nothing else going on in the background at the time. Hope that helps!

A well made game that relies too much on the luck stat. I can't really say that it's a very original idea, which I'm sure you already know since you've used this same formula before, but at least it's done well enough to be interesting. And there are medals to earn, which is a nice bonus. The game looks quite nice, the background music is really relaxing, and it has one hell of a difficulty curve. Maybe instead of "Easy, Medium, and Hard" the levels should be named "Entirely Possible, Not So Much, and All But Impossible."

Skill is absolutely a part of the game, but in the end simply moving on to the next level requires inordinate amounts of luck, as well. Moving on to the 3rd level in the Medium bracket should not take numerous repeated attempts...that's just frustrating and really hampers the game's overall level of playability.

I also kind of thought there would be more to the constellation theme of the game, like actually trying to make certain ones out of crystal chains, but ultimately it's just a naming convention gimmick, so that was a little disappointing. Ah, well. The game is good, but could certainly be improved upon. Three and a half stars from me.

214 Audio Reviews

Yet another fantastic Cinematic Orchestral track, Collin! This really is your wheelhouse, man.

My biggest complaint is that the arpeggio which begins around :26 sounds incredibly familiar and kind of generic within the mix, and the timing seems to be somewhat odd at times. Maybe that's just the humanization at work, but since it's of a more electronic nature, it actually sounds stranger when it's not almost perfectly timed to me.

Besides that, there are a few points where the vocals seem to overlap, causing the vocal volume to suddenly increase exponentially at an impossible rate of speed. (e.g. 1:05~1:06) Due to this phenomena, those moments don't sound quite as organic as they could. Of course it may actually be intentional, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

How come you don't sing all those fantastic upper-register vocal bits yourself? ^__~ jk

Despite my admittedly rather minor gripes, this track shines with the brilliance of a thousand suns. Odds are, the points I've brought up are just a part of your aforementioned experimental mixing techniques, anyway. Regardless, the overall mixing is very good, and your instrumental choices tend to work exceptionally well together. Bravo!

Keep compos(ed/ing). Oh, and hey—Happy 2019! Hope life's treating you well, man. Peace.

CloakedSoup responds:

Thanks a ton! :D

I knew there were some little things here and there that could be improved in the mix, but I finished this track near the end of November and figured it would be better just to finally post it and keep moving forward. I'm still not 100% there, but I think I'm getting the trailer music sound down pretty well. The biggest thing I have to do at this point is keep improving my mixing skills until I've got that legit professional sound that I'm going for. I don't think I've got a 100% lock on the new 'advanced' mixing techniques yet (many of them are from Joël Dollié, who is an amazing audio engineer and composer who specializes in orchestral and trailer music). Once I get a bit more used to them, I think my tracks will really start to shine in the mixing department and I can really start to show what I'm capable of doing!

Great! Lots of traditional Christmas goodness on tap here, Bosa.

An appropriately huge "Joy To The World"-esque intro really gets things moving. The March from :10~:23 is fantastic, and it ultimately reminds me of the original Home Alone films with their seasonally thematic elements. The music concludes very nicely by transitioning into a bit of "Deck The Halls," though I do personally feel as though a second refrain of "fa la la la la..." with a nice ritardando could have added even more emotion to the ending.

Suffice to say, the entire track is extremely well mixed and mastered, and it definitely helps get me in the holiday spirit. Merry Christmas! God bless us, every one.

Bosa responds:

There is so much more I wanted to do with this and touch on more carols. It pains me that this is all I was able to get done :'(

Excellently done, Shawn! It's been forever since I last played Xenogears. The Xenosaga games were nice and all, but they never had the same epic RPG feel, despite the upgraded graphics and such. And while the music was generally solid enough, nothing was as unforgettable as pretty much everything from the Xenogears OST.

This starts out so well, it just takes hold with its slow, meaningful cadence. The mix is lovely, and it has such an excellent range of lows, mid-ranged, and high notes. Pure ear pleasure, my good man! Beautifully done.

IoTheEternal responds:

well I am glad this has held up so well over the ages! And yeah xenogears was an incredible game, with incredible music!

Glad you enjoyed!

thanks for the review!

-shawn (Chronamut)-

36 Art Reviews

Damn, son, where ya been? Nice to see you back on the ol' NG stomping grounds.

This is one helluva fine render. Really nice textures and lighting, and the 3D model looks eerily lifelike. Opposable thumbs ftw!

Snake!? SNAAAAAKE!!!

Very fluid animation, and the idea of a snake skipping rope with his own body is always fun. The floaty little top hat is a very nice touch.

A plain white background is admittedly rather boring, but at least it doesn't detract from the character animation. Good stuff.

The lovely Belldandy! The elements really come together in an interesting way here, from the ruined cityscape in the background, to the main subject alighting placidly upon a relic of defunct machinery. Her colors are so bright and vivid that she easily stands at the forefront of the image, making her appearance feel both angelic and ethereal.

The colors themselves are somewhat muted, but that just makes it feel even more appropriate for the time period and art style. What medium did you use for the foreground elements? It looks like colored pencil and ink. A little more sharpness to the lines would be ideal, but very nice nonetheless. The curvature of all that windswept hair—especially those loose, curly strands—could stand to be a bit smoother in places. Her wings actually look luminous, and the dress is beautifully rendered with fine details and shading.

Ah! Megami-sama! was among my favorite early anime series, along with other such greats as El-Hazard, Tenchi Muyo!, and Bubblegum Crisis. Interestingly enough, I had my first taste of anime during a sojourn in Tokyo when I was just a boy, with the always iconic Sailor Moon.

IoTheEternal responds:

we all love sailor moon :)

The originall of this was done with pencil - it was so fine and light you could barely see it as it had also probably faded over the years. I took advantage of that to keep her wings luminous - and darkened the other lines a bit and coloured the rest in photoshop - I wanted a bit of a matte appearance to go with the style.

I like as you say, the placidness on the ruined cityscape - almost as if its time doesn't affect her, as she is engaging with it almost outside of time. No watercolours used for this one , although my other pieces do utilize watercolours :)

glad you liked! Thanks for the review man! :)

-shawn-

I'm just a guy who enjoys a wide variety of artistic pursuits, both professionally and in my free time. Please check out my musical repertoire, and if you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to leave a review or send me a message.

42, Male