View Profile ChronoNomad

132 Movie Reviews

The song itself is quite simply phenomenal, and Finn already knows how much I respect his talent! The background images and animations are also ridiculously impressive.

That said, the character appearance and animation leaves much to be desired, and is quite honestly the weakest part of the presentation. But hey, you're still really young and have lots of time to learn and grow and improve your illustration and animation abilities! So don't give up, and I look forward to watching you improve over time. Let me offer up a few helpful hints:

Really study images of the human body in order to get better at drawing people. While I've certainly seen worse proportions, the male and female within the video are incredibly stiff and possess some very unrealistic features. From the back view, the back itself extends too far upward and almost gives the appearance of having a hump, which I do not believe was intended. Your hands and shoulders are way too rounded; once again, study those aspects and smooth them out in a more realistic way. Arm and leg movements are also really stiff and awkward at this point. And finally, when viewing the head and neck from behind, the neck would continue up past the back of the head rather than the other way around, like it is here.

Having a really amazing song and gorgeous backgrounds boosted my overall score quite a lot, but had I gone strictly by the merits of the characters and character animations alone it would have been a much different story. When those aspects come together in a more harmonious way, you're going to have a seriously killer repertoire. Best of luck going forward! :)

VivendmaYoutube responds:

Thanks! I tried to add my usual humor in it as well.. like Bea Hogg as the girl's name

This is quite simply the best PSA I've seen since Dumb Ways to Die first earwormed its way into my heart! Incredibly well animated, with excellent visuals, music, and sound effects backing up the brutal action. There was clearly some inspiration taken from series like One Punch Man and classic Dragon Ball Z, which makes for quite an interesting mix in the world of Pokémon. Very kind of you to give the fine folks of Newgrounds the perfected version, too.

Nice protection and avoidance tips. Mosquitos are annoying enough to begin with, but the Zika virus is some seriously bad business. What the world needs is more dragonflies to help control the buzzing bloodsucker population!

Oh, man...this is so good! Made me smile and actually laugh out loud. Thanks for making my day.

The art and animation style are excellent, as are the sound effects and music. The whole thing comes together just right and is thoroughly engaging. Also a very fun and unique take on the whole Zombie Apocalypse idea that's totally been done to death but somehow never gets old.

Stanley is quite the hero and I'm sure we would all love to see him again, but the story is just as good as a standalone project. Bravo! Looking forward to future submissions.

89 Game Reviews

This is a pretty fun and rather unique game, especially considering how incredibly arbitrary the whole process actually is. I'm still not entirely sure if there's some sort of condition that needs to be met in order to find the Schrödinger-like cat in the box alive or dead, or if it's just as random as the cat effects you get by hitting the spacebar. Nevertheless, it is indeed quite challenging, sometimes frustrating, and generally kind of cute...in a dark and strangely morbid way.

The backgrounds, animations, and other moving parts look very nice and feel natural. The music, while highly limited and decidedly repetitive, sounds fine and serves an interesting purpose by reversing while the spacebar is held down. Sound effects, while also fairly minimal, are nonetheless effective and appropriate for the tone of the game. Besides the technical and aesthetic elements, it's always great to earn a couple hundred medal points! I know it's an extra draw for me, at least.

I did come across one weird medal glitch while playing, so I figured I would take a moment to report it here. During my initial playthrough, I earned all the stars for every level as I completed them, and when I finally got through the 30th level it was the TASK 2 medal that popped all by itself. After that I finished TASK 3, then had to play the game over from the beginning to finally get TASK 1 to activate. Obviously, if someone earns more than one of the medals on a single run through all 30 levels, they should get all the medals they've earned.

Overall, I would have to say that this is a solid Puzzle game, despite its unique reliance on luck. Some skill is indeed required, and simply tapping the button without any kind of analytical thought process going on won't get the job done.

Besides, the idea of cats doing all kinds of crazy stuff while you're not observing them is totally symbolic and 100% accurate. Great job and congratulations on landing on the Front Page!

Cute and quirky, but loves to freeze up on me and has done so across several attempts. I may never be able to finish the game itself if that keeps happening. The premise is very bizarre of course, just like the myths themselves, and your one of a kind art style is always uniquely enjoyable. I've generally become accustomed to your particular style of music, but some of the tracks here actually gave me a headache. :P

The gameplay leaves something to be desired, and not knowing which enemies can be killed using the sword or need to be jumped on is more than a bit bothersome. Controlling Pegasus is ridiculously awkward, though I suppose that was intended to ramp up the difficulty of the "race" against the Sphinx. In a more straightforward race based on speed rather than gathering golden olives, Pegasus would win without even trying.

Death comes quickly and easily, but then you're right back into things with another chance, so dying in and of itself means very little in most stages. There are some silly little Easter eggs sprinkled here and there, and it's always nice to earn medals.

Not a bad game, though I would probably offer up at least another half star if I could play without those frustratingly random freeze-ups. FYI, the browser I use is Chrome and there was nothing else going on in the background at the time. Hope that helps!

A well made game that relies too much on the luck stat. I can't really say that it's a very original idea, which I'm sure you already know since you've used this same formula before, but at least it's done well enough to be interesting. And there are medals to earn, which is a nice bonus. The game looks quite nice, the background music is really relaxing, and it has one hell of a difficulty curve. Maybe instead of "Easy, Medium, and Hard" the levels should be named "Entirely Possible, Not So Much, and All But Impossible."

Skill is absolutely a part of the game, but in the end simply moving on to the next level requires inordinate amounts of luck, as well. Moving on to the 3rd level in the Medium bracket should not take numerous repeated attempts...that's just frustrating and really hampers the game's overall level of playability.

I also kind of thought there would be more to the constellation theme of the game, like actually trying to make certain ones out of crystal chains, but ultimately it's just a naming convention gimmick, so that was a little disappointing. Ah, well. The game is good, but could certainly be improved upon. Three and a half stars from me.

211 Audio Reviews

Such a great rendition of a song that I've...never actually heard before! But man, there's some really fantastic music in Guild Wars 2, so I can totally understand the appeal. Lately I've been playing a lot of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, so this is pretty much right up my current Fantasy-related alley. That gorgeous, rich Orchestral sound never fails to delight the senses, and the vocals are so beautifully sung and harmonized that I can scarcely believe this isn't the original version. Your mixing and mastering is still as skillful as ever, nay—even better than before.

I happened to read Bosa's review before composing my own, and while having the original singer would have been pretty cool, it would have ultimately spoiled that whole "redone from the ground up" vibe. And while she chooses to remain anonymous, your vocalist has most definitely earned her time in the spotlight...whomever she may be.

Thank you once again for a tremendous musical journey, Step & Co. While your frequency of submissions may indeed be low, I would deign to believe that the overall level of quality goes up in direct proportion. At least, that's what I tell myself while I'm waiting.

But hey, my own paltry 4 submissions in 2018 barely beat out yours, and you just may end up passing me by sooner or later. Life is all about seasons, and sometimes even the music needs to take a back seat. Best of luck to you, Echo, and your mysterious songstress in the future, my friend. Excelsior!

Step responds:

ChronoNomad! Wow, I cannot understate how much I've missed your reviews. Incredibly eloquent and a pleasure to read as always!

Guild Wars 2 is a game I've been playing for a long while now, and it really does have some gems in its soundtrack. Fear Not This Night is an old track written by Soule that was released with the game's release, and for a long time I've wanted to give it a spin myself.

The vocalist is insanely talented and I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to work with her. I agree that getting the original singer wouldn't have been the same... Or rather, it would have been too much of the same. It's good to change things up from the original!

Confession time, these vocals are five-year-old recordings. I actually got started on this track way back, five years ago. It was at this point that I asked the vocalist to record the vocals, which she did for me and they're the vocals you're hearing right now.

But back then, I got sidetracked due to uni work and ended up abandoning the project for all this time. This honestly made me feel terrible, because one of the things that drives me (and I'm sure ANY musician) nuts is getting work done for a project and then that project never seeing fruition (it's happened to all of us at some point I'm sure!). It was therefore incredibly hypocritical of me to not do anything with the vocals for so long.

Eventually, I decided to set things straight and dedicated time with Echo to get the track done, partially because I've wanted to work on the track for so long, and partially because it really was about time I did those vocals justice. The singer was incredibly understanding about the whole thing, but I definitely consider it pretty unbecoming of me that I took so long to get the project done.

I'm super glad you enjoyed the track, especially the mixing/mastering! I feel like technical things like mixing/mastering are easier to forget or lose your grip on if you spend a long time not composing music than compositional techniques and inspiration (or at least that's how it works for me), so I'm happy that my layers of rust aren't showing.

I can't thank you enough for dropping by. Hope you're doing well yourself!

Short, but wholly sweet. You ramp up the tension quite a lot in those first 30 seconds, and then bring it all home with that fantastic Werewolf attack. It may not have actually scared me, but it did give me a chill up my spine. Well done!

IoTheEternal responds:

haha I am glad - yeah it's all about the mood and the vibe - tbh if I had dragged it out I think it would have lost its effect. Glad you liked!

thanks for the review!

-shawn (Chronamut)-

Love it, guys! A really fun and spooky track that's full of souls...er, I mean soul. Really nice timing between the instrumentals and vocals, and some great little nuances, like Jordi chuckling about getting a little freaky. ;)

You guys really nailed that jazzy, bluesy feel. The instrument mix is on point and evokes imagery of a smoky lounge filled with strangely transparent people, just hanging out and enjoying a bit of All Hallows' Eve reverie. The lyrics fit the theme, and are delivered beautifully with just the right tone.

While this bass is probably too much for my crappy little computer speakers to even handle at a decent volume without crackling, it quite overwhelms my ears even through my headphones. My suggestion would be to "distance" the bass a little by lowering the dry levels somewhat, or maybe stereo separate it a bit more to spread it across the field, so it doesn't just take over.

Fortunately, Jordi's lyrics are nice and clear, so they ring out well even with such an overshadowing low end. The sax is nice and bright, too. But much of that poor piano gets gobbled right up! But hey, it remains a fantastic and very enjoyable track.

And man, that loop would sound perfect on here if we hadn't had to move on from the old-school Flash setup. Ah, well. Happy Halloween, my friends! Best of luck in the Spooktacular.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, especially as it's a bit different, stylewise, from what we usually make :D
I also love Jordi's ad-libs!

It's fun to play and compose something a bit more jazzy every now and then (I recall when you did it with "One of Those Days"). I've got plenty of VSTs I rarely get to use, so I like to bring them out for tracks like this :3
Jordi came up with those lyrics in just a few minutes, which is insane considering how fitting they are, imo! We were listening to some 50s jazz (trying to look for something a bit spooky), when looking for inspiration, and we kind of just created the foundation for this piece on the spot.

As for the bass, I used the Komplete : World : Cuba kontakt instrument. I was a bit torn, since it has this great sound, but it tends to sit a bit weirdly in the mix. I'm sure with more work on it, it'd be possible to balance it out a bit better, but I've probably gotten too used to hearing it as it is for now, so perhaps after I distance myself from the piece a bit it'll be easier to get it right.

Yeah, I didn't do much to Jordi's vocals when I was mixing. That's the nice thing about working with someone as talented at singing (and fixing up the audio files); it kinda just fits on top of the track with some reverb (and perhaps some minor compression).
The piano I used has a great upright sound, but it cracks and clips really easily if it's played too loudly, which is why I kept it low-key. It's also quite repetitive, so I felt like it didn't need as much emphasis; it's there more as a backbone, the way I see it.

And yeah, it seems like the current NG player loops things weel about 1/4th of the time or so, which is interesting; I'd like to know how exactly it works.
Oh well, I'm sure it'll change again in the future, and maybe become better, with any luck :DDD
At least the piece loops well on WinAmp (for Windows; the mac version I believe doesn't loop things well).

Thanks a lot for the detailed review! I hope you're doing well ^____^
Happy Halloweeeeen!!!!!

36 Art Reviews

Snake!? SNAAAAAKE!!!

Very fluid animation, and the idea of a snake skipping rope with his own body is always fun. The floaty little top hat is a very nice touch.

A plain white background is admittedly rather boring, but at least it doesn't detract from the character animation. Good stuff.

The lovely Belldandy! The elements really come together in an interesting way here, from the ruined cityscape in the background, to the main subject alighting placidly upon a relic of defunct machinery. Her colors are so bright and vivid that she easily stands at the forefront of the image, making her appearance feel both angelic and ethereal.

The colors themselves are somewhat muted, but that just makes it feel even more appropriate for the time period and art style. What medium did you use for the foreground elements? It looks like colored pencil and ink. A little more sharpness to the lines would be ideal, but very nice nonetheless. The curvature of all that windswept hair—especially those loose, curly strands—could stand to be a bit smoother in places. Her wings actually look luminous, and the dress is beautifully rendered with fine details and shading.

Ah! Megami-sama! was among my favorite early anime series, along with other such greats as El-Hazard, Tenchi Muyo!, and Bubblegum Crisis. Interestingly enough, I had my first taste of anime during a sojourn in Tokyo when I was just a boy, with the always iconic Sailor Moon.

IoTheEternal responds:

we all love sailor moon :)

The originall of this was done with pencil - it was so fine and light you could barely see it as it had also probably faded over the years. I took advantage of that to keep her wings luminous - and darkened the other lines a bit and coloured the rest in photoshop - I wanted a bit of a matte appearance to go with the style.

I like as you say, the placidness on the ruined cityscape - almost as if its time doesn't affect her, as she is engaging with it almost outside of time. No watercolours used for this one , although my other pieces do utilize watercolours :)

glad you liked! Thanks for the review man! :)

-shawn-

Not too shabby, as process images go. Like Cyberdevil mentioned, there's a lot of detail that goes missing from frame to frame, and that's unfortunate. You should really take the next step by filling in those missing details and cleaning up your line work.

Don't forget that her feet are what keep her grounded, so their location should not be moving within the frames when she's standing still. Kind of an important detail, that. And hey, if you do work on this some more, I'd love to see a full-color finished version.

While it's obviously important to keep the main focus on Pipimi, even character artists need to spice up their empty space a bit. Consider adding a nice background environment for her to inhabit, as well.

Hey, maybe you're 100% finished with this and you've already moved on, and that's fine. But I hope you'll at least take these suggestions to heart for future reference. I'm happy to drop a little feedback on pretty much anyone, but work in progress (WIP) stuff will naturally earn lower marks than finalized, much more polished work. Excelsior!

I'm just a guy who enjoys a wide variety of artistic pursuits, both professionally and in my free time. Please check out my musical repertoire, and if you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to leave a review or send me a message.

42, Male