View Profile ChronoNomad

151 Movie Reviews

The song itself is quite simply phenomenal, and Finn already knows how much I respect his talent! The background images and animations are also ridiculously impressive.

That said, the character appearance and animation leaves much to be desired, and is quite honestly the weakest part of the presentation. But hey, you're still really young and have lots of time to learn and grow and improve your illustration and animation abilities! So don't give up, and I look forward to watching you improve over time. Let me offer up a few helpful hints:

Really study images of the human body in order to get better at drawing people. While I've certainly seen worse proportions, the male and female within the video are incredibly stiff and possess some very unrealistic features. From the back view, the back itself extends too far upward and almost gives the appearance of having a hump, which I do not believe was intended. Your hands and shoulders are way too rounded; once again, study those aspects and smooth them out in a more realistic way. Arm and leg movements are also really stiff and awkward at this point. And finally, when viewing the head and neck from behind, the neck would continue up past the back of the head rather than the other way around, like it is here.

Having a really amazing song and gorgeous backgrounds boosted my overall score quite a lot, but had I gone strictly by the merits of the characters and character animations alone it would have been a much different story. When those aspects come together in a more harmonious way, you're going to have a seriously killer repertoire. Best of luck going forward! :)

VivendmaYoutube responds:

Thanks! I tried to add my usual humor in it as well.. like Bea Hogg as the girl's name

This is quite simply the best PSA I've seen since Dumb Ways to Die first earwormed its way into my heart! Incredibly well animated, with excellent visuals, music, and sound effects backing up the brutal action. There was clearly some inspiration taken from series like One Punch Man and classic Dragon Ball Z, which makes for quite an interesting mix in the world of Pokémon. Very kind of you to give the fine folks of Newgrounds the perfected version, too.

Nice protection and avoidance tips. Mosquitos are annoying enough to begin with, but the Zika virus is some seriously bad business. What the world needs is more dragonflies to help control the buzzing bloodsucker population!

Oh, man...this is so good! Made me smile and actually laugh out loud. Thanks for making my day.

The art and animation style are excellent, as are the sound effects and music. The whole thing comes together just right and is thoroughly engaging. Also a very fun and unique take on the whole Zombie Apocalypse idea that's totally been done to death but somehow never gets old.

Stanley is quite the hero and I'm sure we would all love to see him again, but the story is just as good as a standalone project. Bravo! Looking forward to future submissions.

98 Game Reviews

This is a pretty fun and rather unique game, especially considering how incredibly arbitrary the whole process actually is. I'm still not entirely sure if there's some sort of condition that needs to be met in order to find the Schrödinger-like cat in the box alive or dead, or if it's just as random as the cat effects you get by hitting the spacebar. Nevertheless, it is indeed quite challenging, sometimes frustrating, and generally kind of cute...in a dark and strangely morbid way.

The backgrounds, animations, and other moving parts look very nice and feel natural. The music, while highly limited and decidedly repetitive, sounds fine and serves an interesting purpose by reversing while the spacebar is held down. Sound effects, while also fairly minimal, are nonetheless effective and appropriate for the tone of the game. Besides the technical and aesthetic elements, it's always great to earn a couple hundred medal points! I know it's an extra draw for me, at least.

I did come across one weird medal glitch while playing, so I figured I would take a moment to report it here. During my initial playthrough, I earned all the stars for every level as I completed them, and when I finally got through the 30th level it was the TASK 2 medal that popped all by itself. After that I finished TASK 3, then had to play the game over from the beginning to finally get TASK 1 to activate. Obviously, if someone earns more than one of the medals on a single run through all 30 levels, they should get all the medals they've earned.

Overall, I would have to say that this is a solid Puzzle game, despite its unique reliance on luck. Some skill is indeed required, and simply tapping the button without any kind of analytical thought process going on won't get the job done.

Besides, the idea of cats doing all kinds of crazy stuff while you're not observing them is totally symbolic and 100% accurate. Great job and congratulations on landing on the Front Page!

Cute and quirky, but loves to freeze up on me and has done so across several attempts. I may never be able to finish the game itself if that keeps happening. The premise is very bizarre of course, just like the myths themselves, and your one of a kind art style is always uniquely enjoyable. I've generally become accustomed to your particular style of music, but some of the tracks here actually gave me a headache. :P

The gameplay leaves something to be desired, and not knowing which enemies can be killed using the sword or need to be jumped on is more than a bit bothersome. Controlling Pegasus is ridiculously awkward, though I suppose that was intended to ramp up the difficulty of the "race" against the Sphinx. In a more straightforward race based on speed rather than gathering golden olives, Pegasus would win without even trying.

Death comes quickly and easily, but then you're right back into things with another chance, so dying in and of itself means very little in most stages. There are some silly little Easter eggs sprinkled here and there, and it's always nice to earn medals.

Not a bad game, though I would probably offer up at least another half star if I could play without those frustratingly random freeze-ups. FYI, the browser I use is Chrome and there was nothing else going on in the background at the time. Hope that helps!

A well made game that relies too much on the luck stat. I can't really say that it's a very original idea, which I'm sure you already know since you've used this same formula before, but at least it's done well enough to be interesting. And there are medals to earn, which is a nice bonus. The game looks quite nice, the background music is really relaxing, and it has one hell of a difficulty curve. Maybe instead of "Easy, Medium, and Hard" the levels should be named "Entirely Possible, Not So Much, and All But Impossible."

Skill is absolutely a part of the game, but in the end simply moving on to the next level requires inordinate amounts of luck, as well. Moving on to the 3rd level in the Medium bracket should not take numerous repeated attempts...that's just frustrating and really hampers the game's overall level of playability.

I also kind of thought there would be more to the constellation theme of the game, like actually trying to make certain ones out of crystal chains, but ultimately it's just a naming convention gimmick, so that was a little disappointing. Ah, well. The game is good, but could certainly be improved upon. Three and a half stars from me.

214 Audio Reviews

Okay, so first off, you guys have done a fantastic job with this AIM collab! The track had me enthralled from start to finish, and it possesses so many wonderful melodies that mesh together beautifully. The overall feel of the track changes so smoothly and effortlessly, from soft and light to big and epic, and back again. The track ends so prettily with the sound of crashing waves followed a sweetly nostalgic refrain. Quite the journey you have both painted for us with your joint musical canvas!

Like others before me, I do need to echo the somewhat thin quality of the mix and overall master. Most of the elements seem to exist more or less in the center of the mix, and I feel that the stereo field could have been put to greater use to make the overall sound even richer, fuller, and more expansive.

That said, the palette of instruments meshes together in a highly organic manner, and I adore all those little grace notes and subtle touches that beg for more than a single listen. In fact, I am currently on my third!

Such a gorgeous piece, LucidShadowDreamer and BlueOceans! You two seem to make an excellent team, and—as always—I really look forward to hearing more from both of you in the future. Best of luck in the AIM and all you do going forward!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you for all the lovely words, Chrono-chan :3

Fun story. Those waves are supposed to be a breeze soundeffect. We just downloaded a royalty free sound quickly, because symbolically it fit so well. We might update it to sound better in the future, even though it's not bad now. Also, it's no issue that you heard waves. Once again, symbolically that expresses the same thing, in this instance ^___^
Huge props to the art for the story, btw! We love it. That's why we wanted to translate it into music :)

It's possible it might seem like most elements are centered, because many of the melody instruments are within 50% from any extreme. Even more than so, some compression can probably be lowered a bit, and the reverb reviewed a bit. Sequenced also gave some good advice on discord.

It's awesome that you love the details! We put a lot of effort into making instruments play articulations in ways that both fits the piece, and feel natural. It seems like it paid off! :D
Aww, thanks for them listens!

We really debated a lot of parts in the track, until we were both content with them (arrangement wise, and regarding details). It's a somewhat painful way of doing it, but it means we held each other responsible for making the piece as good as we could, given the time! We're looking forward to hearing more from you as well! :333

P.S. Your NG page looks so cool now :O!

Yeah, so while I dig the jam from a musical standpoint, it crackles almost constantly because the levels are way too high. I get that you were under the gun to nail it down, but there's no excuse for neglecting the mastering process so much that nearly the entire track ends up clipping.

If it helps, I actually brought the score up a bit from 2.92 by giving you a 3. Small comfort to be sure, but it is what it is. Rushing the process is a surefire way to end up with post-production issues due to lack of polish. It can also result in extreme ear strain, which only serves to exacerbate the problem.

On a different note, the reversed intro was pretty cool, though I wondered for the briefest of moments if you weren't going to overuse the effect throughout the track. In the end, I think you made good use of it without going overboard. There were some moments where elements failed to mesh well, and the main offender seemed to often be the bass. Percussion was minimal, but nicely done. Can't say that I care tuppence for that ending, though. It felt uninspired and rather lazy.

Welp, I never enjoy doling out hard critiques, but I'm guessing it doesn't come as much of a surprise. Like I said, the overall motif is nice, but it clips like a beast and the bass ends up overshadowing the rest of the mix. The percussion is slow and trippy, which fits nicely within the piece, but it can't really make up for the other problems inherent within the mix, and it certainly can't overcome a lack of care when mastering.

Regardless, I'm glad that you could finish your track, and I hope that you'll work on fixing some of those issues once the contest has come to an end. Best of luck with college and getting those wild mood swings under control. Been there myself, and I know how hard it can be to focus when even your emotions seem to be at odds. Take care, man.

You know, I'm totally in work mode here, trying to get through all these great AIM submissions, and you've forced me to come to a complete stop. This track is gorgeous, and quite simply blew me away. So much so that I had to take the time to leave this review.

What's kind of funny is that, in that very first choir section, I was actually feeling a bit underwhelmed right out of the gate. It wasn't that the voice sounded bad or anything like that, no...quite the opposite. I guess I'd have to say that the timing feels kind of inorganic when it first comes in. And as I listen again, I still feel that the first 11 seconds or so just don't sound right. The choir notes are "sung" too fast, some end or change too quickly, and they lack a certain sense of realism. In a way, that almost makes it sounds like an afterthought when compared to the staccato string harmonies. But you know what? That's my only real criticism.

In those first few seconds, as I examined the waveform to see what my immediate future held in store, I could see that things were going to blow up in a big way, and it was that very tension that drew me in. Suffice to say, my anticipation was well rewarded! This is an exceedingly rich and full orchestral track, and whether you consider it good, bad, or something in between, that's what I've ultimately come to expect from your tracks.

Honestly, I have very little else to critique regarding this track. Your instrument choices are excellent, the mix comes together beautifully, and your mastering is quite solid, overall. This is also one of a handful of tracks that I really feel matches the artwork and expresses the grander ideas therein. In my opinion, you have truly brought home that artistic marriage of illustration and music, and I easily tell that you were inspired by the visuals.

As a singer, there's a very natural sense when it comes to how notes should be sung, and that's really what needs to be kept in mind when dealing with this kind of choir. Making it sound real, organic...that's the hard part. Admittedly, it's much more difficult to create a choir solo than a background layer of choir harmony. After that first handful of seconds in the track, with all the other layers to back it up, the rest of the choir sounds just lovely, switching from a more soloist style to layered harmony, and back. But hey, if I didn't give you something to chew on, I'd be remiss in my job.

Thanks for the epic audio journey, CloakedSoup! Best of luck in all you do.

CloakedSoup responds:

Oooohhh. You're gonna make me cry! <3 It's nice to know that my track connected with you so much, because it's always been my goal to do so! Getting the solo vocal library I have to sound realistic has been quite the challenge. I still have a ways to go with mixing vocals and MIDI programming with voice stuff in general, but I'm super happy you enjoyed the piece! I'm looking forward to posting more music in the future as I continue to strive to improve!

35 Art Reviews

The lovely Belldandy! The elements really come together in an interesting way here, from the ruined cityscape in the background, to the main subject alighting placidly upon a relic of defunct machinery. Her colors are so bright and vivid that she easily stands at the forefront of the image, making her appearance feel both angelic and ethereal.

The colors themselves are somewhat muted, but that just makes it feel even more appropriate for the time period and art style. What medium did you use for the foreground elements? It looks like colored pencil and ink. A little more sharpness to the lines would be ideal, but very nice nonetheless. The curvature of all that windswept hair—especially those loose, curly strands—could stand to be a bit smoother in places. Her wings actually look luminous, and the dress is beautifully rendered with fine details and shading.

Ah! Megami-sama! was among my favorite early anime series, along with other such greats as El-Hazard, Tenchi Muyo!, and Bubblegum Crisis. Interestingly enough, I had my first taste of anime during a sojourn in Tokyo when I was just a boy, with the always iconic Sailor Moon.

IoTheEternal responds:

we all love sailor moon :)

The originall of this was done with pencil - it was so fine and light you could barely see it as it had also probably faded over the years. I took advantage of that to keep her wings luminous - and darkened the other lines a bit and coloured the rest in photoshop - I wanted a bit of a matte appearance to go with the style.

I like as you say, the placidness on the ruined cityscape - almost as if its time doesn't affect her, as she is engaging with it almost outside of time. No watercolours used for this one , although my other pieces do utilize watercolours :)

glad you liked! Thanks for the review man! :)

-shawn-

Not too shabby, as process images go. Like Cyberdevil mentioned, there's a lot of detail that goes missing from frame to frame, and that's unfortunate. You should really take the next step by filling in those missing details and cleaning up your line work.

Don't forget that her feet are what keep her grounded, so their location should not be moving within the frames when she's standing still. Kind of an important detail, that. And hey, if you do work on this some more, I'd love to see a full-color finished version.

While it's obviously important to keep the main focus on Pipimi, even character artists need to spice up their empty space a bit. Consider adding a nice background environment for her to inhabit, as well.

Hey, maybe you're 100% finished with this and you've already moved on, and that's fine. But I hope you'll at least take these suggestions to heart for future reference. I'm happy to drop a little feedback on pretty much anyone, but work in progress (WIP) stuff will naturally earn lower marks than finalized, much more polished work. Excelsior!

This is excellent, Troisnyx! I really like the overall style and all those little nuances, especially the bunched fringe under her clavicle. Since the character illustration ultimately takes up most of the frame, the lack of a background isn't even an issue. You've used a simple yet effective color scheme that is particularly eye-catching. The eyes have an especially realistic quality, as she gazes wistfully into the distance.

While this is indeed one of your most impressive works to date, there are still a few issues to address, so I hope that you can take a bit of constructive criticism along with the compliments. We can only learn through experience, after all, and the artist is often too close to a project to view it objectively. Hey, that's what feedback is for!

First off, the arm holding the bodhran beater/tipper looks a bit too long for her other proportions, and the fingers are bent at a rather impossible angle. And yeah, I know...hands are hard. Next, while this character's head isn't inordinately small, her face and jawline still don't quite match up with her neck, which could stand to be a touch less wide. As such, her ear looks like it's attached more toward the back of her head, rather than the side and a part of her face.

Continue practicing your illustrative skills and the sky's the limit. Best of luck in all you do, and oh yeah—Happy Saint Patrick's Day! To your health.

Troisnyx responds:

Duly noted for future reference, thank you so much ;_; Slainte!

I'm just a guy who enjoys a wide variety of artistic pursuits, both professionally and in my free time. Please check out my musical repertoire, and if you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to leave a review or send me a message.

42, Male