PokéShots: The Mosquito PokéShots: The Mosquito

This is quite simply the best PSA I've seen since Dumb Ways to Die first earwormed its way into my heart! Incredibly well animated, with excellent visuals, music, and sound effects backing up the brutal action. There was clearly some inspiration taken from series like One Punch Man and classic Dragon Ball Z, which makes for quite an interesting mix in the world of Pokémon. Very kind of you to give the fine folks of Newgrounds the perfected version, too.

Nice protection and avoidance tips. Mosquitos are annoying enough to begin with, but the Zika virus is some seriously bad business. What the world needs is more dragonflies to help control the buzzing bloodsucker population!

Steadfast Stanley Steadfast Stanley

Oh, man...this is so good! Made me smile and actually laugh out loud. Thanks for making my day.

The art and animation style are excellent, as are the sound effects and music. The whole thing comes together just right and is thoroughly engaging. Also a very fun and unique take on the whole Zombie Apocalypse idea that's totally been done to death but somehow never gets old.

Stanley is quite the hero and I'm sure we would all love to see him again, but the story is just as good as a standalone project. Bravo! Looking forward to future submissions.

Little Star Little Star

Excellent animation short, xaolan! And congratulations on Daily 2nd Place, that is very cool. The mixture of real backgrounds and animation is nicely done, and it seems to almost be a lost art form these days, so props for doing that and doing it well. Your story accurately represents the themes of despair and hope that the music was meant to achieve. Bravo.

Makros Superpos Makros Superpos

This is a pretty fun and rather unique game, especially considering how incredibly arbitrary the whole process actually is. I'm still not entirely sure if there's some sort of condition that needs to be met in order to find the Schrödinger-like cat in the box alive or dead, or if it's just as random as the cat effects you get by hitting the spacebar. Nevertheless, it is indeed quite challenging, sometimes frustrating, and generally kind of cute...in a dark and strangely morbid way.

The backgrounds, animations, and other moving parts look very nice and feel natural. The music, while highly limited and decidedly repetitive, sounds fine and serves an interesting purpose by reversing while the spacebar is held down. Sound effects, while also fairly minimal, are nonetheless effective and appropriate for the tone of the game. Besides the technical and aesthetic elements, it's always great to earn a couple hundred medal points! I know it's an extra draw for me, at least.

I did come across one weird medal glitch while playing, so I figured I would take a moment to report it here. During my initial playthrough, I earned all the stars for every level as I completed them, and when I finally got through the 30th level it was the TASK 2 medal that popped all by itself. After that I finished TASK 3, then had to play the game over from the beginning to finally get TASK 1 to activate. Obviously, if someone earns more than one of the medals on a single run through all 30 levels, they should get all the medals they've earned.

Overall, I would have to say that this is a solid Puzzle game, despite its unique reliance on luck. Some skill is indeed required, and simply tapping the button without any kind of analytical thought process going on won't get the job done.

Besides, the idea of cats doing all kinds of crazy stuff while you're not observing them is totally symbolic and 100% accurate. Great job and congratulations on landing on the Front Page!

Apollina´s Spell - Greek antique parody Apollina´s Spell - Greek antique parody

Cute and quirky, but loves to freeze up on me and has done so across several attempts. I may never be able to finish the game itself if that keeps happening. The premise is very bizarre of course, just like the myths themselves, and your one of a kind art style is always uniquely enjoyable. I've generally become accustomed to your particular style of music, but some of the tracks here actually gave me a headache. :P

The gameplay leaves something to be desired, and not knowing which enemies can be killed using the sword or need to be jumped on is more than a bit bothersome. Controlling Pegasus is ridiculously awkward, though I suppose that was intended to ramp up the difficulty of the "race" against the Sphinx. In a more straightforward race based on speed rather than gathering golden olives, Pegasus would win without even trying.

Death comes quickly and easily, but then you're right back into things with another chance, so dying in and of itself means very little in most stages. There are some silly little Easter eggs sprinkled here and there, and it's always nice to earn medals.

Not a bad game, though I would probably offer up at least another half star if I could play without those frustratingly random freeze-ups. FYI, the browser I use is Chrome and there was nothing else going on in the background at the time. Hope that helps!

Crystals Constellations Crystals Constellations

A well made game that relies too much on the luck stat. I can't really say that it's a very original idea, which I'm sure you already know since you've used this same formula before, but at least it's done well enough to be interesting. And there are medals to earn, which is a nice bonus. The game looks quite nice, the background music is really relaxing, and it has one hell of a difficulty curve. Maybe instead of "Easy, Medium, and Hard" the levels should be named "Entirely Possible, Not So Much, and All But Impossible."

Skill is absolutely a part of the game, but in the end simply moving on to the next level requires inordinate amounts of luck, as well. Moving on to the 3rd level in the Medium bracket should not take numerous repeated attempts...that's just frustrating and really hampers the game's overall level of playability.

I also kind of thought there would be more to the constellation theme of the game, like actually trying to make certain ones out of crystal chains, but ultimately it's just a naming convention gimmick, so that was a little disappointing. Ah, well. The game is good, but could certainly be improved upon. Three and a half stars from me.

Nothingness Nothingness

Ah, this is just so relaxing to listen to, but with that emotional sense of deep-seated melancholy. A truly beautiful piano composition with very meaningful pacing. Admittedly, it's hard to imagine such resonant sound as nothingness, but the name seems apt nonetheless.

No idea if you'll get the reference or not, but it reminds me of the incredible music that often plays during the ending credits of Mushishi. Believe me, it's a compliment.

Thanks to reviews by LSD and etherealwinds, I found my way here to this lovely piece. Please count me among those who now follow your musical career.

Ortus Nocte Ortus Nocte

This needs a lot of work, but hey--it's a start. The instruments are legitimately awful, and the mixing seems to be almost nonexistent, but there's a seed of an idea here that's actually not bad.

For instance, the short piano progression that repeats endlessly and changelessly from start to finish just isn't very solid, and that's coming from a guy usually loves all things piano. Again, part of the problem is the lack of sample quality, but there needs to be some variance in there. Really, if you're going to repeat something so much, it needs to be considerably more interesting and could use more than a few changes throughout the piece in an attempt to keep it fresh.

So, like I said earlier, there is some potential here, but it's closer to a lump of coal than a diamond at this point. Keep working on it, and listen to the overall quality of other artist's tracks. These samples are just not very good at all, and I'm not one of those people who can't afford expensive orchestral suites and crap like that, so just about everything I use is gratis, but I always try to do the best I can with what I've got. Mixing can improve with time and effort, so of course it's going to be rather lackluster at this point. Let's see what you can do in the future. Excelsior!

UberOnion responds:

Thank you for the time and effort put into your comment. This is the first song I ever made and I used garage band. Anyways, I will try my best to follow what you said.

Traversing the Milky Way Traversing the Milky Way

I can see how this would be too complex as a contest entry, but I'm sure you'll come up with something that'll work. It seems like you could always break what you already have here down into simpler, more bite-sized thematic elements, but I suppose it's probably easier to just start over again from scratch.

Well hey, you got a beautiful piano track out of it either way, so there's definitely an upside! Thanks for sharing, and best of luck with your contest theme/melody.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm sure I could break it up, but the thing is, I've grown attached to how it sounds right now, so I find it easier indeed to start from scratch :)
I've already come up with another theme anyway ;)

I'm glad I was inspired to make this out of nothing really! Sometimes it just happens, I suppose!
Thank you for the review! I hope you're doing okay!

Charl Mcgroove Charl Mcgroove

That is one cute af third eye cat! Nice job, man.

And he seems to have beaten that slowpoke Link to the Triforce. Burn!

deathink responds:

Yeah, I wonder what his wish will be?

the punisher the punisher

I guess klinikum hasn't been binge-watching Daredevil on Netflix...

Congrats on being Frontpaged yet again, man! Am I just supposed to write a short one-liner comment? Damn, I'm not very good at that. Suffice to say, it looks just like him! Loving the overall style and how appropriately beat up you made him here. Those angry Irish blokes really made a mess out of him.

JohnnyUtah responds:

thanks sir

Sally Sally

So many references! I think I'll be the first one to name them all, though I'll admit, I had to really scan the old memory banks to come up with the one on the bottom right that's been stumping everyone. In fact, I think it was the first anime OAV I ever rented from Blockbuster Video back in the day... o_O

Final Fantasy VII, Akira (Tetsuooo~!), good ol' Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop, DragonBall Z, Ghost in the Shell, Tank Girl, Gorillaz album cover from Demon Days (silhouette version), 60 billion double dollar wanted poster for Vash the Stampede a la Trigun, Tokyami, NERV logo from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Jet Set Radio Future, and--last but not least--Ninja Scroll!

Sally's name doesn't seem to fit her persona, but that's what makes it fun. Epic scythe design, incidentally. Gotta love a well-made reaping tool. Strategic use of light, shading and shadow play make the imagery especially dynamic. You've got a real way with eyes, man. Love the simplicity of the logo and its message, very nice touches.